Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sunday Day of Cooking

This Sunday was Papa Matwijkow's birthday! To celebrate, I made him brunch, my favorite meal, and Rebecca and Mama M and I made him dinner.

Brunch spread
 Brunch was uber delicious: scrambled eggs, fruit salad, and pancakes. I have this nifty gluten-free baking mix that I used to make my pancakes. The only weird thing about them was that they didn't bubble around the edges like normal pancakes do when they're ready to be flipped. Regardless they were nom-able.

I did the Blackmer tradition with my pancakes: pancake, fruit salad, yogurt, syrup. Deeelish.

kuchen, pre baking

 For dinner, Mama M made gazpacho, tilapia, and veggies. Rebecca and I made kuchen with peach and blueberries. I have no idea where kuchen is from, but we have it in my family ALL the time. You can make it with any fruit you have around.

First, you get flour (or gluten-free baking mix in this case), baking powder, a little bit of salt, and sugar, and mix that all together. Then you cut in butter (or margarine), make a crumbly delicious mix, and then press the mixture into a pie pan. You put the fruit on top, sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon on top, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 min.

While thats going on, beat one egg and then add 1 cup of yogurt to it. After the kuchen has baked for 15 minutes, take it out of the oven and pour the egg and yogurt mixture over top. Put the kuchen back in the oven and bake for half an hour.
Finished kuchen!!

It'll have to cool a bit once its done, so plan ahead for that. We had it with vanilla gelato and it was SO good. Its also mad good as leftovers, once the fruit has gelled.

Yay cooking!!

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment